Clean Install Has Issues

Guest aeanos

After searching through the forums here, I have yet to find the specific issue I'm having, so, here it goes...

I have just put a clean install of 3.0.2 on my site at www.consultantsea.com/store/ , and am having issues with both the admin login, and the actual shoppping cart itself.

When trying to login to the admin screen, I get that there is no admin session found, and the following errors:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_6184c1b32826752abec2b103cd17d581, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /store/admin/login.php on line 31

Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp/sess_6184c1b32826752abec2b103cd17d581, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

In an attempt to try and alleviate the issue, I created a "tmp" subdirectory, as I saw that there was none, however, the issue remains. Further, I have been unable to locate the issue at "line 31". Then again, I am new to debugging PHP, so who knows..lol

Also, when I try to look at the actual shopping interface, I get the following error:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_6184c1b32826752abec2b103cd17d581, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /store/index.php on line 33

From what I can tell, I am having issues creating session IDs or something else equally "simple to fix", but have no clue what could be making this happen.

My company's site is being hosted by Yahoo, and I haven't experienced any problems with this sort of thing before with them. However, I did just recently realize that they are tacking on a 1px "easter egg" onto all of my pages somehow, and that the script they are using to do so is not html compliant (in fact, it creates a total of 8 errors per page when I attempt to validate my code).

Who knows....they may be able to help....

I would prefer finding help from the people who created the program, or have worked with it though, before going the route of talking to Yahoo hosting, as I would like to address both issues with them at once as opposed to opening two seperate support tickets.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I have not as of yet been able to find any answers through Yahoo's "self help" sections, let's try it this way...

Here is a link to my PHP info, that might be of some help to someone around here:

NO LONGER NEEDED

Also, I have upgraded to 3.0.3, and STILL have the same issues. If anyone out there thinks they can solve the mystery of the missing sessions, etc., PLEASE contact me, as I don't want to have to switch hosts again, nor do I want to start paying $99 a month just to upgrade my hosting package in order to have the functions available through this software.

I'm paying only $5.95 a month for a host that has zero difficulty doing the simple things yahoo hosting borks on.... also lots of space and bandwidth and mySql databases.... and REAL support staff who get back to you with REAL answers in only an hour or so....

I have actually thought about switching, however, I don't want to have to lose my site for 4-6 weeks again, especially seeing as I now have over 1200 links to my site, and top page rankings for all of my search terms.

This time around though, I have to admit, it was ALL my fault */*

I had the right idea by adding a temp subdirectory. However, I just happened to stuble across something in Yahoo's self help section that fixed my problem with not only this software, but my "failed" attempt to use Moodle as well. Apparently, in order for PHP sessions to work for Yahoo sites, you have to add a "tmp" subdirectory to the core folder.

Stupid, simple, and somehow overlooked :whistle:

It's always nice to have a reminder that even a seasoned pro can have "blonde" moments...lol

Soooooo...what have we all learned?

1) Keep calm, even as you imagine yourself flushing your future riches down the toilet

2) Do not scream at the automated help desk's lack of concern for your plight

3) When in doubt, dumb down the questions you are asking the self help engine to one word phrases such as "session", as opposed to things any reasonably well constructed natural language interface could work out, like" why are administrative sessions not enabled?" */*

and, finally:

4) If you want to use PHP with a Yahoo account, remember to create a "tmp" subdirectory in your site's root folder BEFORE pouring over folder content matching, and installing and reinstalling software for literally DAYS on end. (My attempt to make moodle work was 3 days of straight ftp) B)

NOTE: Although the cart works fine now, I still have to figure out why I can't get into the admin area. On the bright side though, now that I don't have a list of errors, fixing this should go ALOT faster :wub:

4 to 6 weeks?! Whyever would it be down that long? I just moved a site to my current host, from the point at which I set up the monthly billing (AND no setup fees, mind!), to the time it was live (including the DNS change propagating) was less than 4 hours. Total.

This included as well moving three databases. Not one of them was a problem - I just updated the config info....

Anyway, it's good to hear that you're mostly back in business.... yahoo notwithstanding of course!

First, I have to clarify something. I was not actually without a site, I was simply unable to do anything to the site during that period of time seeing as one host no longer counted me as a customer, and the other could not set me up on their servers until everything was complete.

I believe the reason it took so long to switch hosts was that I was originally hosted by 1and1, a truly horrible experience all the way around. Not only was I hosted by them, but my domain(s) were also registered through them as well.

The explanation at the time, was that the permissions had to go through, releasing me from 1and1, in order for Yahoo to take it over from them. Whether or not this was true would merely be speculation on my part, however.

What I can say though, is that I would not doubt that at least part of the time spent between hosts was due to 1and1 not being "ready and willing" to really make the switch happen. During my brief few months with them (in 2004), I had major issues both with their customer service, and with the ease of use of their hosting interface.

When I could actually get ahold of a customer service rep, usually only after staying on hold for well over 30 minutes, I never once recieved service from a fluent English speaking person. What is ironic in this scenario though, is that the first, last, and only time I reached a person in their company who was fluent in English, was the day I waited for nearly an hour on hold in order to cancel my service.

In any event, despite the flaws that Yahoo may potentially have, there is a certain security in knowing that your site is being handled by a company that is not going to simply disapear a few months down the road, or be gobbled up by some "bigger fish". Plus, although I can't currently prove it, I have a hunch that my being hosted by Yahoo affects my ability to reach top placements in the search rankings a little bit easier than if I was hosted by someone else. Who knows though, it may all just be my incredible SEO skills ;)