FCK Editor

Guest vrakas

Would you like the FCK editor in a pop-up or?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please use this poll as the previus one could not post any reply's.

(my mistake) :P

Some people have problems with the FCK editor. :D

This poll is to see on how we would like the FCK to appear or not. B)

Please choose what you would like to have. :(

Guest Denver Dave

As usual I suppose the answer is all ways. I can see that some would like the option to not have the editor at all. Some would wish the editor to always be present when viewing the record, and in my case would like to have an optional second window that is resizeable. I know that at least one of the other JavaScript editors does off these 3 options.

There's no chance that the FCK editor is going to be removed completely from CC. However it would be great if these three options could be provided in General Settings, so that each person can enable or disable it at any point in time.

Well... if it was faster to respond (in FF, the only browser I am willing to use regularly), and if it created paragraphs rather than lumps of text with breaks in between, then perhaps I'd like it :)

And I think the skin/template functionality is definitely the best thing about CC3 :errm:. I've never before seen PHP code so completely separated from the HTML...... beeeautiful.

Well... if it was faster to respond (in FF, the only browser I am willing to use regularly), and if it created paragraphs rather than lumps of text with breaks in between, then perhaps I'd like it :)

strange I use Firefox and havent noticed a problem in Firefox and FCK loading slow

but Im 5Mbs cable and I get it to make pargraphs all the time by highlighttext blocks and align left center right justifided (div paragraph) also try shift+enter

it aint a perfect wysiwyg editor and for my clients its a godsend to beable to have that much control over their contents formatting along with being able to do proper hrefs

and image uploads where as Im just as comfortable switching to source view and coding direct there... But IM not my clients... :errm:

And I think the skin/template functionality is definitely the best thing about CC3 :D.  I've never before seen PHP code so completely separated from the HTML...... beeeautiful.
I couldnt agree more!!! creating a custom skin couldnt be easier and swapping the info boxes around on a page even easier with the use of the macro tags those are a total Godsend!!!

strange I use Firefox and havent noticed a problem in Firefox and FCK loading slow

but Im 5Mbs cable and I get it to make pargraphs all the time by highlighttext blocks and align left center right justifided (div paragraph) also try shift+enter

Thanks for the tip with shift+enter.

I dunno why it runs so slow for me. I'm running Apache on my local machine, so its nothing to do with my internet bandwidth. And my machine is decent. But when I load it in Firefox and, for example, move my mouse across the buttons, the buttons are highlighted two buttons behind! (hope that makes sense). And when i type, its always a couple of characters behind. It runs faster in IE, but I can't stand IE.

Also it used to crash FF regularly, but I know why - I was trying to click the Source button before the editor had finished loading.

It would be nice if there was some sort of an on/off switch in General Settings :). But until that happens, I've been meaning to disable the FCK editors myself..

Guest vrakas

I am not against FCK but problems created with languages such as Greek and slow loading even when using broadband is a problem. :D

A button that allows you to bring it up on request such as a pop-up window is an excelent idea or even a turn on/off button. :D

The even more flexibility of the FCK in CC3 will certainly be an extra edge. B)

Guest theorbo

In general, I am NOT in favor of things like FCK editor. I quit using that sort of crutch about 10 years ago.... it's unnecessary in toto. Use a real html editor of your choice, the code will be infinitely cleaner (that is, assuming of course you aren't using front page *rolls eyes* or goddess forbid, DW4!)

It's always better to edit css and html offline and then upload. For one thing there's far less risk of trashing your page by doing something abysmally stupid at 3am when you've been up for 36 hours.... The best way to handle changes really is to run a local server with the program loaded and make sure the changes look and work right offline before sending them live, especially important for those with live stores taking live orders and shipping live (as is all too obvious, seeing the number of posts about 3.0+ versions and pieces-parts which aren't working on live shops after upgrade....)

My vote (which really wasn't possible the way the poll was worded) is to make it totally optional from the get-go: give either the option to not install it at all during the install process; or include an easy function for disabling it from the settings page in admin....

Guest vrakas

My vote (which really wasn't possible the way the poll was worded) is to make it totally optional from the get-go: give either the option to not install it at all during the install process; or include an easy function for disabling it from the settings page in admin....

I respect your opinion and suggestion. :D

The option of Yes, i would like it in pop-up (on demand) window would cover you (at least it does for me, since i resell the carts) and the client is the one to do the changes.

If he has a dial up connection, fine turn it off, if he is using Russian or Greek laguage Leave it off.

I am still looking for a solution with 2 clients of mine wanting the Greek language to work and for me to purchase the license :)

I have to create hyperlinks to pages i make with pop-ups for the Greek to show correctly, this is not a solution.

If anyone knows where the add language file is created so i can change it with an editor please let me know.

Any ideas or suggestion are welcome B)

Guest theorbo

Hmm. The only languages I can see available already are the ones in the language folder - which obviously does not include Greek.

I would think you could follow the way the other language folders and files are set up, beginning with the "en" one as a roadmap maybe; then once you have a "gk" folder and files, try adding the call to that folder and those files in the other lang.inc.php files (you'd need a global search function in your editor to find the lines where "en" is shown probably). Before messing with this, you should probably go download phpEdit, which will make the job considerably simpler (http://phpedit.com/)

Keep in mind if you mess with this yourself, that you're messing in core code which, while not a BAD thing sometimes, can cause unexpected consequences and results, and does then require that you keep track of the tweaks and changes so that you can replicate them in new releases of the program.

AND BACK EVERYTHING UP BEFORE YOU START!

[i'd be willing to give this a shot, but I don't speak Greek. If you want to produce the files and email them to me once you're done, I'll see about making it work on a test-platform locally.... And of course, I might not be able to actually MAKE it work - but I wouldn't mind trying....]

Guest vrakas

@theorbo, thanks for your interest. :)

I'd be willing to give this a shot, but I don't speak Greek.

Just add the Greek Keyboard to your PC (in regional settings/advanced) then go in any of your sites and try and type the letter α in products details and see what happens :D

If you go then to other lanuages and add something you cant delete or edit it :)

Minor problem major headache B)

Guest estelle

εοε.... τηισ ισ ψραζυ!! :)

ι ψαν'τ εωεν φιγθρε οθτ ηος το εντερ θρλ'σ ςιτη τηισ φρεακιν κευβοαρδ σετθπ.

:)

Guest estelle

FYI - i posted a fix to the greek alpha problem here.

Changing my keyboard to greek was a bit weird. I had to restart my machine to change it to greek, and then i couldn't figure out how to enter english text, so I couldn't even enter URLs. Surely there's a way to switch between e.g. Greek and English keyboards without having to restart Windows?

Guest vrakas

@estelle

I thank you for the interest on helping me with this problem, now i cant wait to get home and try this solution.

I really thank you :)

PS: alt+left shift makes switching between keyboards

ι ψαν'τ εωεν φιγθρε οθτ ηος το εντερ θρλ'σ ςιτη τηισ φρεακιν κευβοαρδ σετθπ.

I can't even figure out how to enter url's etc etc

Now in Greek

Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω πώς να βάλω url's κλπ κλπ :)

Just for the fun of it, since its driving me bananas :)