Newbi - Taxes only working if loged in??

Guest gorbry

Hey All,

I wondering if any one knows how to fix this tax issue.

If I login and add a products and then go to view cart I can see the price and the tax amount of 10% and total including tax.

Subtotal: $1.00

Tax: $0.10

Shipping: n/a

Basket Total: $1.10

But if I don't login and select the same product and go to view cart i can see the subtotal and the tax is n/a???

Subtotal: $1.00

Tax: n/a

Basket Total: $1.00

While in the cart if I select login and put login details in it will then show the tax amount.

Is it possible at all so that you can see the tax at the cart stage if not loged in.

I have tried the following:

*In the Store Settings I have selected yes to: Include tax in prices? by doing this the tax amount does not show at or if loged in or not from the cart.

*I have removed all other countries apart from Australia thinking that may fix this issue as my site will be for Australian customers only but no difference.

Any help on this will be great. This has been driving me crazy as im keen to get site working so I can grab a license.

Thanks Bryce

Guest estelle

I don't believe there is any way to do this. CubeCart bases taxes on the customer's invoice address, so taxes are not shown until the customer logs in in or registers an account.

If you would prefer all customers (ie. including international) to see the taxes, and only set the taxes to zero after they log in and are determined to be international customers, then you could try asking for this in the Request A Mod forum.

Thanks for the tip estelle

How do I turn taxes off.

This is what I have tried:

*Removed test products

*In store config - Taxes section i removed them all.

*Created new test product - purchase 1 and went to cart view.

*This is what I see:

Subtotal: $11.00

Tax: n/a

Basket Total: $11.00

Im wondering How do i remove the "Tax: n/a"

Also am i able to change the wording of "Subtotal:" to "Subtotal inc GST:"

Thanks Bryce

Guest estelle

Obviously make sure tax itself is disabled. This can be done just by reseting your Admin - Taxes from 10% to 0%. Or perhaps change the setting in Admin - General Settings where it says something like "Include tax in prices?"

If you want to remove the whole row which contains Tax: x.xx then you will have to modify your template files. Just search for TAX and you should be able to figure it out. Keep in mind this will need to be changed in several places - at the moment I can only think of View Cart, Customer View Order, Print Order Form.

styleTemplates/content/cart.tpl

styleTemplates/content/viewOrder.tpl

modules/Print_Order_Form/???.tpl

If you want to change the "subtotal" text, look in language/en/lang.inc.php. Most likely the same text will be listed in different spots, so I would change each one carefully.

Let us know how you go, and if you need more assistance post back here or start a new thread.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for your help!.

I have been able to change the subtotal to show what i wanted with no issues at all. But in regards to removing tax: im not 100% as this is the first time i have done any kind of editing before tonight.

This is what I have found in /content/cart.tpl to do with tax

<tr>

<td colspan="7" align="right">{LANG_TAX}</td>

<td width="80" align="right">{VAL_TAX}</td>

</tr>

</table>

No other hits where found with tax, how do i remove it?

Thanks Bryce

You can change this . . .

<tr>

</tr>

to this . . .

<!--

<tr>

</tr>

-->

. . . and you will prevent the whole line about taxes from displaying.

Another option would be to leave it and go into language file, and change n/a to incl. to show that taxes are incl. (if this particular n/a applies only to taxes in the cart. It may be used both for taxes and for shipping, in that case you wouldn't use this method unless shipping is included in the price or not applicable).

Guest jawdatmoussa

If you're only selling within Australia, why don't you just include GST in all your prices to start off with, and turn the taxes off?

I am testing the product. I can not see taxes being added in either case. No matter if I am logged on or not taxes does not show up.

In reply to the latest post why should someone switch off taxes if lives in Australia. It is an option and need to be valid for any one wherever you are!!!

Taxes option is an important feature of any shopping cart, and therefore should not apply any restriction based on which country you live in.

thanks

Guest estelle

Hi :wacko:

I was not suggesting that taxes should not be charged. I was suggesting that if someone is selling items within Australia only, they could include GST within the prices and advertise this on the site's homepage. I know that this is an incomplete solution, as the total GST that was charged needs to be displayed on a customer's receipt, but this is the best solution I can think of to show GST inclusive prices when a customer is browsing the store.

CubeCart may need to be modified to fully support Australian (and other?) tax inclusive prices. I've seen Australian OSC stores which advertise "GST included in prices. International customers please log in to view tax-free prices". But CubeCart doesn't yet provide this functionality.

Estelle.