This is how I got shipping working ....

Guest jladd

Guest jladd

Like many others I have had a hard time setting up the shipping options with cube cart.

Then I saw an entry in the forum that made a lot of sense, I tried something like it and

wow, shipping was working.

There is a quick tutorial on how to get it working and I hope it works for you

as well:

1. Make sure your site has free shipping disabled.

Click Shipping under the Modules heading.

Click Configure to the right of Free Shipping.

Select Status Disabled.

Click Edit Config.

2. Make sure your Products all have a weight.

Click View Products

Click edit for the product you wish to edit

In the product weight field, enter the weight for the product. In my setup this is in pounds (LBS).

Click Edit Product

3. Enable the Shipping by Weight options.

Click Shipping under the Modules heading.

Click Configure to the right of By Weight

Select a status of Enabled.

In the entry box for to the right of Zone 1 countries enter the list of ISO codes for

the countries that make up your Zone 1. For example:

AU, NZ

is what I put in for Australia and New Zealand

In the entry box to the right of Zone 1 handling fee enter the flat handling fee you charge

if you charge anything.

In the entry box to the right of Zone 1 Shiping 1st Class Rates: enter the list of rates based on a

weight to price ratio. This is stated at the bottom of the page but this must not be clear as it

takes a few people a while to work this out. Hence this tutorial. Note also that Shiping is spelt

incorrrectly.

Anyhow, for shipping in Australia and New Zealand from 0 to 1 LBS I entered this:

1:2.50

I recommend that when starting out to get the weights right you should enter a very high value too

as the ratio/price is used for anything upto and including the weight and if the weight doesnt have a

ratio then there isnt a shipping fee calculated. This is a bug of course !

So enter a "high" ratio and cost. You can change this later.

So my entry now looks like this:

1:2.50,100:99.99

Click Edit Config

4. Enter the other Countries, Fees and Ratios as required and click Edit Config.

5. Make a product selection and add to your cart. Note that until you

have almost completed the checkout process the shipping wont be calculated and

shown, which you would expect as you may want to ship to a different address etc.

I sure hope this helps people. Let me know if it does.

Rgs, James.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not even using this shipping format myself...

but it's strange how one of the most helpful and well written threads on this board goes completely uncommented on.

Thanks dude, it's threads like this that really help people.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ianh

You can also set orders over a certain amount to free shipping which works well in conjunction with the weight method above so that if a customer spends over £50 for example, shipping is free.

>Modules>Shipping>By Price

Set the status to Enabled and voila.

UK Royal mail rates (up to 2K)are:

0.1:0.49,0.15:0.68, 0.2:0.84, 0.25:0.99, 0.3:1.14, 0.35:1.29, 0.4:1.49, 0.45:1.7, 0.5:1.9, 0.6:2.3, 0.7:2.69, 0.8:3.1, 0.9:3.49, 1:3.89, 1.25:4.74, 1.5:5.59, 1.75:6.44, 2:7.29

Guest Melissa Freeman

This is all extremely helpful. I am new and in Australia, and needing to do the shipping by weight is what has hooked me on to CubeCart.

Guest goosenater

Agreed - this thread is very helpful. However, I'm a bit confused as to what the numbers mean. Can anyone explain in detail the number/ratios and what they mean?

ex: what does 1:2.50,100:99.99 mean?

Sorry for the stupidity! I'm new at this!

You can also set orders over a certain amount to free shipping which works well in conjunction with the weight method above so that if a customer spends over £50 for example, shipping is free.

0.1:0.49,0.15:0.68, 0.2:0.84, 0.25:0.99, 0.3:1.14, 0.35:1.29, 0.4:1.49, 0.45:1.7, 0.5:1.9, 0.6:2.3, 0.7:2.69, 0.8:3.1, 0.9:3.49, 1:3.89, 1.25:4.74, 1.5:5.59, 1.75:6.44, 2:7.29

What do you enter in the 'Free Shipping Level' field?

I wouldlike to be able to do this too, although If I leave it blank, then people can choose free shipping regardless ofprice, and if I enter a figure, say of 6.95, then that shows up as default, so if my customers don't check the drop down menu, then they assume shipping is too costly and may leave!

Please advise if you have cracked it!

Cheers - Adam

Agreed - this thread is very helpful. However, I'm a bit confused as to what the numbers mean. Can anyone explain in detail the number/ratios and what they mean?

ex: what does 1:2.50,100:99.99 mean?

Sorry for the stupidity! I'm new at this!

The above example means:

Anything that weighs up to 1kg will cost £2.50, Anything that weighs up to 100kg will cost £99.99.

You can continue the string as long as...

Hope that helps...

~Adam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest teknia

I agree that jladd did an awesome job with this post. Thanks!

There were many issues with Shipping until I realized that CC bonked (technical term) for me unless a shipping weight was entered for each item.

jladd's example of the number string needed was helpful because it gave just enough info to allow me to 'dig-in' and work on my shipping module. Examples with meaningful data go a long way towards helping people that would ordinarily be stuck.

Did I say awesome?

1:2.50,100:99.99

IMHO this topic should be a stickie.

I have a further shipping by weight question for the assembled group:

Is there anyway to designate on particular product FREE shipping on just that one product? I regularly use the "free shipping" marketing approach. Rather than just offer a $5.00 OFF Sale Price, I choose to offer the customer FREE SHIPPING but at the regular price! You would be amazed how much more attractive that sounds.

BUT (and I am very new to Cube, I am just in the testing phase) I can not see how to "tag" any items as "Shipped Free"

Anyone know how this is done?

-Dan

Ian, obviously things changed in August when RM brought in thickness, length, width ie dimentions of packets / parcels into the mix. What are you doing now for shiping rates ?

My prob is that some things could ship in jiffy bags whilst others would defo be parcels and these have two different tariffs / weight ranges ?

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Taken from the Royal Mail Site yesterday 06/01/07 ;

First Class Packets (Length: over 353mm, Width: over 250mm, Thickness: over 25mm)

0-100g 100p

101-250g 127p

251-500g 170p

501-750g 220p

751-1000g 270p

1001-1250g 474p

(Add 85p for additional 250g or part thereof) *Pricing effective from August 21st 2006

Standard Parcels

1kg £3.85

1.5kg £4.95

2kg £5.31

4kg £7.70

6kg £8.74

8kg £9.97

10kg £10.70

20kg £12.46

Will prolly end up using the small packet guide upto 1kg and the parcles guide thereafter.

Must say the Royal Mail have done a great job of making this as complicated as possible

for everyone (in an attempt to be fair ???) If its in a jiffy bag is it a packet or a parcel ?

Does this make sense?

0.1:1.0, 0.2:1.27, 0.5:1.7, 0.7:2.2, 1.0:2.7, 1.2:4.75, 1.5:4.95, 2.0:5.3, 4.0:7.7, 6.0:8.74, 8.0:9.97, 10.0:10.70, 20.0:12.46

Up to 1.2Kg I will put in a jiffy bag [small Packet 1st Class] above that I will box up and send

standard parcels !!!

Now I know why people have 'Flat Rates' !!!

Guest Joanne

I'm in australia and trying to work out my shipping too. This thread has helped a lot, and one person has had the same problem as i'm having now so i'm hoping they might read this and be able to help.

I want shipping set at $6.00 standard but with orders over $70.00 FREE.

I tried setting a standard shipping and then by price set free postage for orders over $70 but when you proceed through checkout it lets the customer choose which one they want - even if they haven't spent the $70 - meaning they will likely go for free and rip me off, then proceed to pay making it more difficult to chase the lost postage money!! I also tried setting price by weight 0:6.00 as my items arn't listed by weight (all set to 0 as i havent weighed them yet - may try that approach if this doesn't work) and it does the same thing..

Any ideas? its really frustrating. I just want it to show $6 unless they have spent more than $70 in which case it should only show FREE.

Cheers,

Jo-Anne

Guest Joanne

ARGH. after writing that post, i tried a few other ways and got it working. This is how, for others that have the same problem.

Make sure ALL OTHER SHIPPING OPTIONS are disabled. Go to "by price" and enable this. set your quota for free shipping (mine is more than $70) and then below that, specify how much postage will be if it is UNDER the quota. (This means you have to charge a flat rate for postage - some dont like this idea however if you sell things similar in weight you'll make money on some items and lose some on others, but it evens out eventually. if you seem to lose more than you gain, bump up your shipping price, simple!) and now it works - customers only get one option when proceeding through checkout.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I found this thread very useful.

I am sure I am missing something basic, I have just installed for the first time at http://www.riversanimalhousing.co.uk/store/upload/index.php. When I test adding an item to the cart and view it it does not display the shipping cost but (n/a) I have on each product added its weight in kg and on the shipping page only have enabled shipping by weight and the following:

zone 1 countries: GB

zone 1 handling fee: 0

zone 1 shipping first class: 30:25.00,40:35.00,50:45.00,500:100.00

Can anyone suggest what I have done wrong or have missed.

I am using CubeCart_3.0.15

PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST - Although the shopping cart did not show the shipping cost, when I tested going through to payment it did show it and add it to the totsal price to pay. I must say it is a bit confusing that shipping cost do not show until the later stage.

Hi

I am sure I am missing something basic, I have just installed for the first time at http://www.riversanimalhousing.co.uk/store/upload/index.php. When I test adding an item to the cart and view it it does not display the shipping cost but (n/a) I have on each product added its weight in kg and on the shipping page only have enabled shipping by weight and the following:

PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST - Although the shopping cart did not show the shipping cost, when I tested going through to payment it did show it and add it to the totsal price to pay. I must say it is a bit confusing that shipping cost do not show until the later stage.

Dont forget, tax and shipping cost are shown in checkout step4 only by default. If you want to show it in any of the previous steps you have to use mod - modification.

The reason it shows in step4 is simple - customer is logged in and customer location is known. Tax + some shipping modules are related to customer location :)

Hi

Dont forget, tax and shipping cost are shown in checkout step4 only by default. If you want to show it in any of the previous steps you have to use mod - modification.

The reason it shows in step4 is simple - customer is logged in and customer location is known. Tax + some shipping modules are related to customer location :)

As a complete Newbie what is and how do Iuse Mod - Modification When Idownloaded CubeCart 3.0.15 I had two other folders that as yet Ihave done nothing with they are: Changelog and Upgrade it it something to do with them?

As a complete Newbie what is and how do Iuse Mod - Modification When Idownloaded CubeCart 3.0.15 I had two other folders that as yet Ihave done nothing with they are: Changelog and Upgrade it it something to do with them?
CubeCart package is an official e-commerce script, modifications (mods) are 3rd Party modifcation to the official released script. Mods are developed to enhance/change official released script funcionality.

Just google and search for cubecart mods :)

Guest mediajunk

I'm still getting the "Over Weight" error.

I'm Shipping by Weight in Kg and I have weights from 0.03Kg to 15Kg, only delivering to UK (only 1 ISO code) and Handling is 0.00.

Weight ratio's are:

0.1:1,0.25:1.30,0.5:1.70,0.75:2.20,1:270,1.25:4.74,10000:99.99

Does anyone know whats wrong?

Note that until you

have almost completed the checkout process the shipping wont be calculated and

shown..

I have a question regarding the shippingcost calculation not showing until the 2nd, 3rd and 4th step

it annoys me that the text 'Shipping' is visible in the 2nd and 3rd step, just because it's simply nothing there except for a -

now, i tryed to remove the $lang['front']['cart']['shipping'] in includes/content/cart.inc.php but that wasn't such a good idea because then the shipping wasn't announced in the 4th step

is there a way to remove the shipping text in the 2nd and 3rd step and have it visible in the 4th step??

any ideas, thx..

Guest kaskudoo

sure.

look in the according tpl files in your skin folder. the whole page is layed out on a table. find the <tr> element that carries the shipping output and change it to <tr style="color: #fff;">

this will turn the text inside the table element white ... on a white background it would make it disappear.

i am no coder and that seems to me to be the easiest solution .... i have not tried it yet (i might though) - always backup your files ;)