Cubecart and Shared SSL - NIGHTMARE!

Guest Paralumino

Guest Paralumino

I am having a considerable amount of trouble getting Cubecart to work properly with a shared SSL. I have properly configured my shared SSL settings and I can get the registration pages to go secure, however, when CC jumps between secure and unsecured pages, it causes problems with the items in the shopping basket. The basket will report items in it when no items should be there. CC will report I'm not logged in when I am. Clicking on the basket will return a "basket is empty" screen. Even when you properly login and purposely select an item to purchase, the basket will have previous values in it from the last transaction on the home screen. Viewing the basket will again produce nothing on the next screen. The basket will be empty. Its only until I add a product via its code that I can proceed forward to the invoicing and payment sections. Its like the secure pages and the unsecure pages aren't talking to one another.

If I turn off SSL in my admin settings.. everything works properly and perfectly. Do I just need a dedicated SSL to make this work? I was told by my host that Cubecart and Shared SSL does not work...period. Has anyone gotten it to work? At first I didn't believe him.. then I crashed my admin capabilities by entering the wrong SSL path. Once I got that fixed and all the proper screens were going secure, I thought I fixed the problem. Wrong.

I've also viewed this knowledge base document:

https://www.cubecart.com/site/helpdesk/inde...&kbarticleid=24

According to it.. I have done everything correctly.

Please help

Guest Brivtech

Who'se shared SSLs are you using? I've been using one and haven't had any problems with it, in fact, I've been very impressed with how mine is working.

My guess is that you've gone wrong somewhere in the configuration.

Guest Paralumino

Who'se shared SSLs are you using? I've been using one and haven't had any problems with it, in fact, I've been very impressed with how mine is working.

My configuration, I believe, is quite correct. I was able to obtain secured pages during registration and payment. The problems would occur when bouncing between secured and unsecured pages. Strange mysterious problems would occur. Shopping baskets reporting stuff in them, when there shouldn't be. Saying I was logged out when I was really logged in and vice versa...and other strange happenings. My provider is Host Monster / Blue Host. Quite a good group. They've told me that there are considerable issues with CC and shared SSLs.

I really would like to get it to work.

My configuration, I believe, is quite correct. I was able to obtain secured pages during registration and payment. The problems would occur when bouncing between secured and unsecured pages. Strange mysterious problems would occur. Shopping baskets reporting stuff in them, when there shouldn't be. Saying I was logged out when I was really logged in and vice versa...and other strange happenings. My provider is Host Monster / Blue Host. Quite a good group. They've told me that there are considerable issues with CC and shared SSLs.

Hi,

I am having the same problem with Shared SSL also. Same as you, I followed the instructions provided but still had a lot of problems. Support suggested to purchase Dedicated SSL as the shared SSL with my host has some limitations.

Perhaps yours is the same? Try contacting support in Cube Cart & they will look into it further as they did with me.

Cheers,

Ann

VSN Shopping :errm:

I am having a considerable amount of trouble getting Cubecart to work properly with a shared SSL. I have properly configured my shared SSL settings and I can get the registration pages to go secure, however, when CC jumps between secure and unsecured pages, it causes problems with the items in the shopping basket. The basket will report items in it when no items should be there. CC will report I'm not logged in when I am. Clicking on the basket will return a "basket is empty" screen. Even when you properly login and purposely select an item to purchase, the basket will have previous values in it from the last transaction on the home screen. Viewing the basket will again produce nothing on the next screen. The basket will be empty. Its only until I add a product via its code that I can proceed forward to the invoicing and payment sections. Its like the secure pages and the unsecure pages aren't talking to one another.

If I turn off SSL in my admin settings.. everything works properly and perfectly. Do I just need a dedicated SSL to make this work? I was told by my host that Cubecart and Shared SSL does not work...period. Has anyone gotten it to work? At first I didn't believe him.. then I crashed my admin capabilities by entering the wrong SSL path. Once I got that fixed and all the proper screens were going secure, I thought I fixed the problem. Wrong.

I've also viewed this knowledge base document:

https://www.cubecart.com/site/helpdesk/inde...&kbarticleid=24

According to it.. I have done everything correctly.

Please help

Guest Brivtech

You may believe your configuration is right,but there could be something wrong with it aggrevating the problem. Unless you give us an example of your configuration, it's difficult to confirm whether the settings you think right are indeed the correct ones. Even with a wrong setting, parts of the store may function, but other parts may not.

I don't have any experience with Bluehost, and for them to claim "considerable issues with CC and shared SSLs", I would put the problem more with them. CubeCart only does what it's told and if the information being fed to it isn't correct, then it won't work properly. Like I mentioned, I'm running CubeCart from a shared SSL, and it's flawless. It's obviously not through Bluehost.

I tried to set up CC with a shared SSL certificate on my host and also couldn't get it to work. I think that the crux of the issue was that CC uses session ids to track users, cart contents, etc. and some hosts give you a shared SSL on a different server. That pretty much means that your sessions are going to get screwed up, so I decided that it was a non-starter with my host.

I went ahead and purchased a "real" SSL certificate and it that works just fine. I changed some of the default settings around a little bit so that I wouldn't get partially-secure page warnings, but it wasn't too difficult. Based on my (admitedly limited) experience, if your host gives you a shared SSL certificate on a different machine than your main account, you may as well stop beating your head against the wall (because it's an impossibly thick wall).

I think that other cart programs that work with this sort of shared SSL setup store this info in a cookie instead of a session, so perhaps someone has come up with a mod to do this instead.

I've setup stores on both. And with shared SSL, it can be tricky, but it most definitely does work.

I was just looking at the CC sessions table today, and that also made me think that it SHOULD work even if the shared SSL is on another server... But for me it just didn't, and it seemed as if other people had similar experiences. So maybe you shouldn't give up so easily after all.

I've found that my session info went totally nutso after I added the SSL (including it was adding products to the orders, but not their totals), but I think that it was only affecting me (since I had been testing it for quite a while form the same machine). Try emptying the sessions table in your database and opening CC in a new browser window. After I did that everything worked right again.