Shared SSL Figured Out!!!!

Guest hmpb74

Guest hmpb74

Well,

After much research and trying ever way imaginable, I have figured this out to work with shared ssl. My host is Host Gator. So here is my info to get the shared ssl working.

1st - I am running CC v. 3.0.12 so only 2 entries are required to set up ssl. I installed CC in this location: /public_html/cart/

*Root SECURE Public HTML Folder to store: /~username/cart/

e.g. /store/ (Include Trailing Slash)

*Absolute SECURE URL to store: https://securexx.websitewelcome.com/~username/cart

e.g. https://secure.domain.com/store (Excluding Trailing Slash)

*Enable SSL: Yes

Now I read alot of people who say they have got the shared ssl working, but now when they view cart it is empty, or their admin area is broken. Well I have figured that out too. Key point to remember. Once you have setup your ssl as noted above, you need to immediately go and delete your cookies and temporary internet files. SSL works on cookies. SO you have to delete your cookies and then close and reopen IE or firefox and then your site will funtion correctly. Do not try to log into your site, or admin area before emptying your cookies. This is key to it working right.

2nd - People should remember that your site does not operate in ssl mode at all times. Just during the required transaction parts. So when you log onto your store (ie. www.yourstore.com/cart) you will not be in ssl mode. When you view products you will not be in ssl mode. When you add to cart you will not be in ssl mode. But when you view cart and start the actual transaction, your site will transition flawlessly into the ssl mode.

Give these above steps a try and see if you can't get your shared ssl to work in CC. It works perfect on my cart. If you would like to see my CC in action and test it for your self, please visit here: http://www.gettingprettypersonal.com

Guest shadowlady

Well,

After much research and trying ever way imaginable, I have figured this out to work with shared ssl. My host is Host Gator. So here is my info to get the shared ssl working.

1st - I am running CC v. 3.0.12 so only 2 entries are required to set up ssl. I installed CC in this location: /public_html/cart/

*Root SECURE Public HTML Folder to store: /~username/cart/

e.g. /store/ (Include Trailing Slash)

*Absolute SECURE URL to store: https://securexx.websitewelcome.com/~username/cart

e.g. https://secure.domain.com/store (Excluding Trailing Slash)

*Enable SSL: Yes

Now I read alot of people who say they have got the shared ssl working, but now when they view cart it is empty, or their admin area is broken. Well I have figured that out too. Key point to remember. Once you have setup your ssl as noted above, you need to immediately go and delete your cookies and temporary internet files. SSL works on cookies. SO you have to delete your cookies and then close and reopen IE or firefox and then your site will funtion correctly. Do not try to log into your site, or admin area before emptying your cookies. This is key to it working right.

2nd - People should remember that your site does not operate in ssl mode at all times. Just during the required transaction parts. So when you log onto your store (ie. www.yourstore.com/cart) you will not be in ssl mode. When you view products you will not be in ssl mode. When you add to cart you will not be in ssl mode. But when you view cart and start the actual transaction, your site will transition flawlessly into the ssl mode.

Give these above steps a try and see if you can't get your shared ssl to work in CC. It works perfect on my cart. If you would like to see my CC in action and test it for your self, please visit here: http://www.gettingprettypersonal.com

Is this just a test site? Or real? As your cert comes up website certified by an unknown Authority. Sorry just curious. :D I have a screen shot if you want it?

I get (in IE7)

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

Guest shadowlady

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Please show me the screen shot.

Have you got an email address to send to? As it's too big for this forum

Guest Steven Mc Nulty

Greetings,

Thanks for this post. I have a shared SSL as well and set it up just like yours is. My big mistake was not clearing my cookies like you mentioned. Once I did that almost all my problems went away. Unfortunately there is one small problem:

if i login from my opening store page, then go and buy products everything works perfectly. however if I go shopping first, then login during the checkout process, i get a 'page not found' error. But if i hit the browser refresh button it returns to normal. it's almost perfect but not quite there. Any thoughts?

Have you got an email address to send to? As it's too big for this forum

Yes: my e-mail address is [email protected]

• 4 months later...