mail not going out

Guest Alkaye

I re-installed CC and now the emails abut purchases are not going out to fill the orders.

I tried various sender names, passwords and smtp settigns nothing goes.

can anyone help?

Guest dpage44

First thing you need to know is the location of your email server.

Local or remote:

Local:

Mail_Localhost.jpg

Most hosts provide an email server as part of the hosting package. The servers local address is localhost (127.0.0.1) Localhost is a "trusted user" and therefore does not require authentication. Port 25 is a standard port used by all email servers. mail() is the function used to start the process. Pretty easy eh?

Remote:

Mail_SMTP.jpg

The email server you wish to use is not on the same host, but somewhere else on the internet. For example, lets says you wanted to use your personal ISP mail server. In this example, it's the same POP3 account you have hooked up to Outlook or Outlook Express or whatever to get your personal email. You would be using the SMTP side of the server (that which allows you to send email) and normally it would be as shown it the above example. Authentication is used to distinguish your store's request from a spammer. The username identifies the request as coming from you and the correct password lets the process begin. if you have ever setup email in the above mention clients, this process will be familiar.

I don't know why SMTP is reccomended, as the mail() method is more straight forward. In my case, my personal email account server happens to be on the same server as my website. I was using SMTP, my personal username and password to authenticate. I could receive order notifications, send order status messages, but the bulk email and tell a friend functions were caught in the server spam traps. From the website it looked like it was successful, but my tests never reached their destinations. By changing to the mail() method, everything now works. :D