Best Shopping Cart?

Guest Denver Dave

Guest Denver Dave

Hi - I'm back looking at shopping carts again. In the past I've tried OsCommerce, but it was too much for me with code and data base changes. I do content management php / mySql sites so I have some expertise here.

From your point of view, what are the trade-offs between OsCommerce, Zen-cart and Cube Cart 3 and other php / mySql carts? When should we choose Cube Cart?

Thanks. :mellow:

Hi - I'm back looking at shopping carts again. In the past I've tried OsCommerce, but it was too much for me with code and data base changes. I do content management php / mySql sites so I have some expertise here.

From your point of view, what are the trade-offs between OsCommerce, Zen-cart and Cube Cart 3 and other php / mySql carts? When should we choose Cube Cart?

this is why you use cubecart.

http://www.gamma.co.nz

Products: 17815

Categories: 232

Hits 99,392

:errm:

Oscommerce is lame. Zen is a copy of oscommerce. I would recommend Cubecart version 2.0.7 (final in the v2 series). Much more mods around, much more knowledge base.

Guest Earth Bizz

Thanks. :errm:

Denver Dave .. just saw you in the oscommerce forum ... are you a n oscommerce spy? :)

Oh no! .. what was I doing there ... I must be an Cube Cart spy! :)

From your point of view, what are the trade-offs between OsCommerce, Zen-cart and Cube Cart 3 and other php / mySql carts?  When should we choose Cube Cart?

Thanks.  :)

Edit: All means not inculding CubeCart

Easy, they are all very outdated, over bloated and boring. :errm:

Oh and the HTML isn't valid:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&ur...sCommerce22ms2/

Ooooops and nor is the CSS:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validat.../stylesheet.css

All are a nightmare to reskin as the logic is not seperate from the html.

CC3 is a little buggy still but versions are coming weekly and not 6 monthly plus!

No comparison :)

Guest stijnj

When should we choose Cube Cart?

is that a tricky question?

I heard this one before in some episode of 'the weakest link' and Ann was verry angry since the correct answer was NOW !

:errm: cubecart

• 4 weeks later...

1. cubecart (if you need a small scale ecommerce website)

2. zencart (if you want out the box oscommerce functionality)

3. oscommerce (can take a lot of work but you can build a beast)

personally with cc v3 i would stick with this, already there are search engine friendly urls, search when linked from search engine.... the mods will come a raining in the coming months

i would say cubecart is hot HOT HOT!!! right now and beyond

oscomerce btw is dead in the water - i would not be expecting another release, definately as the head honch whatever hes called predicted oscommerce 2.2. milestone 4 for august.

well its august now and not even a ms3.

they have a lot of work to become xhtml compatible....

Guest merlintx1969

brooky,

where shall I begin.

I used to use cubecart. I even had a few mods for it. then I discovered a whole new world with OSC... and now my eyes have been truely opened with Zen cart.

you said zencart is OSC no

zen cart is zen cart and far from osc,

as for the template system that you put the demo link to..

lets look at a zencart site and see which is more flexible.

http://www.mitea.com

http://www.firecutdiamonds.com/

so before you come in here with your mightier than though attitide. please do a little research first.

cube cart is great for mom and pop that have no clue and 3 products. however it is NOT the all mighty system that you are claiming.

once again remember been there done that.

thing to remember most of us here have...

been there done that and ended up using cubecart

i myself spent 4 months on osc trying to build site but decided over a 1000 files was a bit much.I also tried zencart and yes its ok but like osc the forum sucks.

Wot is more important to u? if u know what ur doing then u can pretty much use wot ever u want.If ur new to this world and dont know wot ur doing then a forum that bends over backwards to help u normally within 24 hours if we can is so valuable.

e.g i had a problem with osc posted in forum after 3 weeks no response or reply to say oh well sorry cant help u and yes u guessed it im still waiting 9 months later which is why i and so many others use cubecart.

and dont forget osc and zencart very old and dated.

boils down to each to there own :rolly:

I used to use cubecart.

Before version 3 no doubt which makes your post a complete waste of time.

cube cart is great for mom and pop that have no clue and 3 products. however it is NOT the all mighty system that you are claiming.

Erm... with 1/4 a million stores?

CubeCart is use by some serious companies one of which emailed me the otherday to say they had turned over £30,000 in the last six weeks.

Guest GnomeyNewt

Repost from previous thread:

I also started with OSC and than looked for a better solution since its templating system was crazy and it didn't look like it would be fun to mod. Even the free mods look very daunting to add. Anyhow, I stumbled across many free and paid carts. I liked x-cart and the sun shoppe a lot, but I soon came across zen-cart whose orginal code is from OSC. It had the option to upload a file per product which I needed and infact had not seen in any of the other free or paid carts. After using it for about 2 weeks, I saw first hand how hard it was to configure ... 20+ menus just to configure it! Anyhow the developers are not very friendly from what I saw on the boards and like somebody else brought up it has SOOOOOO many page queries it was not worth it if you plan to have a lot of products. In the end I discovered cubecart and I have to say its been great getting to know it! So far its been easy to customize template wise and changing/modding the code. I just dove right in, there was no headache at all.

I think here at the cubecart.com forums you will get most of us liking the cube the best :c).

Guest Festus

I couldn't live without Zen Cart. I make an obscene amount of money using it. (No lie I really do!)

Zen Cart is Open Source and FREE!!!

I have the freedom to do what I want since it is TRUE OPEN SOURCE.

The developers are friendly and helpful.

Zen Cart development is fresh, frequent and active... nothing like OSC at all. Stop the FUD!

Look at all the stores using it:

http://www.zen-cart.com/modules/showcase/

New code is release very frequently and you can always get fixes to problems from developers and other members on their forum.

Did I mention that I love Zen Cart?

Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart Zen Cart

It's Zen-O-Lisious! :unsure:

zencart may be different

but it is still an osc hybrid

plus it is a tabled design

a cubecart site next to a zen cart from day one - cubecart site would rank higher due to the cleaner code and fresher approach to content display

plus if i remember rightly brooky doesnt mind what you do to his code as long as you leave in the copyright notes (thats pretty similar to open source) except you have a $70 starting payment.

get real... it will be a long time before zencart or osc ever updated to new accessability guidelines.

Guest Festus

zencart may be different

but it is still an osc hybrid

plus it is a tabled design

a cubecart site next to a zen cart from day one - cubecart site would rank higher due to the cleaner code and fresher approach to content display

plus if i remember rightly brooky doesnt mind what you do to his code as long as you leave in the copyright notes (thats pretty similar to open source) except you have a $70 starting payment.

get real... it will be a long time before zencart or osc ever updated to new accessability guidelines.

And the keyword there is "similiar". :unsure:

Yeah and it will take a long time for Zen Cart to be approved by the US Military, NASA, the Pope... :w00t:

Meanwhile I am making room in my vault for more money as my Zen Cart is happily running along perfectly well with no strings attached.

Just installed ZenCart <-- had to create the configure.php files myself as they weren't in the archive?! :unsure:

The homepage of CubeCart is 20.7KB

The homepage of ZenCart is 172KB

That is 860% larger!

Now mulitply that by 1 Million page views a month.

ZenCart = 164 GB a month

CubeCart = 19.7 GB a month :w00t:

As much as i understand everyone has there own views

1 thing baffles me if u r using zencart and making so much money u dont know what to do with it why are you wasting your time checking out cubecart and join the forums?

If its as good as u say it is why are so many zen users in here switching to cubecart?

Oh yeah thats right cube cart is better!!! :P

Face guys we dont have to go to zen cart forum and waste there space and time we know deep down ur all come to us

ha ha ha :w00t: face it u know its true :w00t::P

Dont worry tho were still be here happy to help when u make the switch to cube :unsure:

Guest Festus

Just installed ZenCart <-- had to create the configure.php files myself as they weren't in the archive?! :unsure:

The homepage of CubeCart is 20.7KB

The homepage of ZenCart is 172KB

That is 860% larger!

Now mulitply that by 1 Million page views a month.

ZenCart = 164 GB a month

CubeCart = 19.7 GB a month  :D

I do more than your £30,000 guy and only use 3 GB per month with Zen Cart. So I don't know why you would need all of that unless you were spamming the search engines with free naked Paris Hilton pics or something. :w00t:

Let's make it sound even better:

1 Billlion Page Views Per Month

ZenCart = 164,000 GB a month

CubeCart = 19,700 GB a month

:P

Anyway, I am just busting yer balls for fun. I think cube cart is alright and I have a 1 product website I might try it on.

No I am not digging at it by saying a 1 product site, it's the only other one I have to try it on and it really only has one product. :P

Click here for a real shopping cart. :w00t:

Guest Festus

Can I do like 100 different options for a product with cube cart and have the options mixed types, like some with radio buttons, some dropdowns, and some with checkboxes all on the same page and have the option to show little pictures for each option?

Just curious... I would need that for my big store on some of the products.

It's not a competition on how much we earn (that is completely off topic). :unsure:

I have a Bentley, Roller and 3 Oozies but don't brag about that to every one! :w00t::P

I wish I never actually posted on the ZenCart site!! :P

However I don't want this to be a slanging match as we could go on forever. At the end of the day as I have said on many occasions Zen is an awsome cart. CubeCart is a very strong competitor and at the end of the day the both deserve success for everyone involved, developers, store masters and end users.

If someone emails me with a feature CubeCart doesn't have I will see if I can build it for them if they want or recommend Zen. :w00t:

Guest GnomeyNewt

The main prob with zen is it is TOTALLY bloated. Some people may want carts that have every feature and its dog, plus 2 mice. I am not one of those people. Zen's admin navgiation is a laugh, you need to read a book just to figure out where each setting is or spend a good half hour searching for it. I ended up disabling everything within the code. I honestly thought "zen" meant it was xhtml/css and all that jazz ... the perfect cart. I guess I got the assumption after looking at the zen css garden website! (csszengarden.com)

GnomeyNewt :w00t: CubeCart

Anyhow, I just looked at zen-cart and the last major update was August 1, 2004... Which really isn't bad for a free open source cart, but certainly the updates are not that often, tho I seen minors in the forums. I don't think a product needs to have great forums, but it certainly does help. I personally enjoy being in a fun community, espeically when there are helpful folks around. When I was trying to use zen, I felt the developers were a little harsh on some of the users. It didn't bother me enough to no use the cart. I decided that alone by using it and realizing I'd rather pay $500 for a cart than to use zen.

Just as zen is not for some of us, cubecart isn't for everyone. v3.x currently lacking in some basic features I feel, however because I can code in php it's not a problem for me to add it myself or to add mods from others. There are many good mods for v3.x now too! Some store owners don't have the time or know how to mod cubecart... I still wouldn't recommend zen cart to them. :unsure:

Off to check out brooky's post at zen :c)

I think even the most novice web masters are heading the CSS acessible route. Some countries have laws saying that it is up to webmasters to make sure their sites are accessible and are liable if they are not. If not they are discriminating the less able. I do believe this is the case in the UK but it is hardly enforced (as it would be impossible to). However for large companies it is a massive issue. The nice thing is that if products use this technology people have to learn it and as a whole the standards of coding on the net will improve. It is up to us developers to set the standard.

// end of preaching :unsure:

p.s. ww.csszengarden.com very much inspired me (and I am sure thousands of others). So much respect.

Guest Festus

It's not a competition on how much we earn (that is completely off topic). :unsure:

I have a Bentley, Roller and 3 Oozies but don't brag about that to every one! :w00t::P

That is braggin about things you buy. Anyone with money can buy things.

It took me alot of college and hard work to get where I am. It isn't about downloading a cart program and getting lucky. It is hard work, other people and companies that you work with to get things going.

I won't be ever be ashamed of being successful. :w00t: